Pet Portraits By Diane Mastel
Commission a portrait
Steps to commission a portrait of your pet.
- One of the first steps to take is to gather all the photos you like of your pet and decide which ones you like the best.
- Take as many additional photos as you want showing your pet’s face from different angles,
so that I can be sure to capture their markings correctly.
- Using a digital camera instead of the smart phone would be best.
- Taking your photos outside is usually the best so that you don’t have to use a flash.
- You could also use the natural light inside your home next to a window.
- Having a friend help you is even better, they can stand behind you holding a treat while you take the pictures.
- If your pet has passed away then of course send me what you have.
- Scroll down to see the helpful videos below:
If you have a small dog, like my little Papillion “Mr. Pibbs”, then it will be easier to have your pet at eye level when you take the photograph so you’re not looking down at your pet.
The reference photo that I used for the portrait.
The finished watercolor portrait of Mr. Pibbs.
- Once I have all the photos we can collaborate on which one is perfect for the painting and decide on the size and price.
- Choosing a watercolor portrait doesn’t require much of a background, however if you choose to do an oil on canvas I can add in a nice background if the one in your photo isn’t what you want.
- Then I will require 50% deposit to make a mock-up of the proposed painting on my computer that I will email to you for your approval.
- When the mock- up is approved I will email you an invoice, as I require full payment before starting the painting.
- For your security, I use Paypal as my payment gateway that accepts payment including debit and credit cards.
- Or mail a check if you prefer.
SEEING YOUR PET’S PORTRAIT IN PROGRESS
When I get started on your painting you will receive emails from me showing the progress on your painting.
This way you can see the different stages of the painting as I go along.
THE FINISHED PORTRAIT
- When the portrait is finished it is photographed and the image is emailed to you for your final approval.
- When the painting is shipped to you it will include a high resolution digital image on a CD with the image of the finished painting.